Friday, February 4, 2011

All dogs do go to Heaven

Ernie went to go be with God and great-grandaddy (as the kids like to say) exactly seven months ago. I was a sobbing mess, but fortunately the kids handled it really well. Since then, I have often heard them say, "I miss Ernie" or heard them discussing what his healed body looks like in heaven (Mae decided it was pink with silver glittery polka dots one day) or how and what Ernie is playing with God and great-grandaddy. It has been comforting in a way watching their minds and hearts explore Heaven. Then today as we were on our way to pick-up Mae's carpool, Whitt says:
  • w: "I miss Ernie."
  • j: "I do to Buddy."
  • w: "Ernie isn't sinning anymore because he is in Heaven. He is perfect now and must be so happy."
  • j: shock and silence

yes, I know we are talking about a dog and dogs don't sin, but let's give the little guy some props for exploring and taking to heart such a beautiful aspect of our Hope.

I have had several people say to me, "Ernie was the greatest dog ever!" And, you know what I have to agree. It was all his little imperfections that blended together in just the right way to create absolute canine perfection with a wildly furry face, the longest tongue imaginable, and the worst breath this side of Heaven. This family all still loves him dearly. Miss you, E!

"It seems to me possible that certain animals may have immortality, not in themselves, but in the immortality of their masters."~C.S. Lewis

"God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in Heaven, and if it takes my little dog being there, I believe it will be there." ~Billy Graham

3 comments:

  1. He does promise to redeem ALL of creation - that may very well include little Ernie! Precious, and so insightful, that Whitt said that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so weird that you posted this...I was reading part of Randy Alcorns book Heaven and talking to Clay about if he thought Pierre would like Paddington whenever paddington passes-first he thought I was nuts but then we agreed that they would play together and have fabulous breath...so Amen Whitt!

    ReplyDelete