Friday, May 7, 2010

From a frog prince to our King of Kings...

So, I have to rat the man out. One night a couple of weeks ago, Michael and I spotted a good-size frog hopping right outside the door to our backyard. The kids were already asleep, and I was in my pjs. I asked Michael to catch Mr. Frog knowing the kids would love checking it out the next morning. Sheer panic and disgust swept over his face, and my request was quickly rebuffed. Well, our little friend decided to pay us another visit yesterday afternoon. I found him back by our hose when I was about to start watering. I raced inside, grabbed a container, and rounded up the crew. They were so excited; we had our own little outdoor science lesson. We talked about amphibians and hopped around like frogs. They named him/ her, Sam John for Whitt and Elizabeth Sarah for Mae (yes, the frog had a middle name in both cases). As I watched the delight and amazement in their little faces, I was reminded of Mark 10:14, "These children are the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in." (the Message version) Our Father is continually revealing his glory through nature; He is literally screaming out to us with His creation. How could we ever deny Him when He is all around us!?! Yet, so often I find myself taking it for granted. Watching my children experience something for the first time is like having a fresh pair of lenses, what a blessing that is. To often I am busy overthinking everything, inadvertently setting limits in my mind on His majesty and power, and my three and four year old just get it! They notice all the intricacies of beauty that surround them with an open heart and mind. As all things lead to our Creator, we found ourselves talking about what a vivid and incredible imagination our God has and wondering what he must have been thinking the day he created the first frog. Whitt decided He was thinking of "squirmy" things.

No comments:

Post a Comment